NEW - Engineering Aspects of Infection Control
Residential Training: 15-19 May 2017 and 16-20 October 2017
This course thoroughly explores those aspects of infection prevention and control where engineering criteria are a vital component. It includes sessions on specialist ventilation such as that of operating theatres, thermal (surgical instrument) and chemical (endoscope) washer disinfectors, steam sterilisers, healthcare laundry and other aspects of hospital hygiene and decontamination. These are supplemented by discussion sessions, which put the engineering concepts into the context of practical infection control.
Objective: Delegates will learn to assess areas where engineering controls have a significant impact on preventing infection transmission in healthcare. You will gain an understanding of relevant processes as they relate to infection prevention, as well as an ability to communicate and negotiate effectively with engineers and Estates staff.
Who should attend: The course content is designed to meet the needs of Consultant Medical Microbiologists, Trainee Medical Microbiologists about to take Consultant roles, senior Infection Prevention & Control Nurses and others with practical aspects of infection prevention as their role.
There will be two courses in 2017: 15-19 May and 16-20 October, with accommodation on the Sunday night before the course included.
The venue is Eastwood Park Training Centre, near Bristol, a uniquely-equipped specialist training centre for healthcare engineering.
Note: 30 RCPath CPD credits apply for each course.
For further information please get in touch with the organiser Peter Hoffman.
Fees and booking
- The full delegate fee for 2017 is £1,800 for non-HIS members.
- HIS members can claim a 20% discount, this fee being £1450 (a £71 reduction over the 2016 fee).
- Delegate fee covers all tuition, 5 nights’ accommodation and all meals Monday to Friday.
- Early Birds: you are encouraged to reserve a place as soon as possible with £100 deposit as there are limited spaces.
- Terms and conditions apply.
Value for money
HIS strives to offer educational courses and training that meet the needs of infection control professionals. We believe in keeping costs at reasonable rates that enable eligible delegates to benefit from our subsidized training and education.
v The course is unique and highly rated
v Delegate rates remain excellent value for a five day residential course
v HIS subsidizes course fees for HIS members and offers cost price for non-members
v Comparable residential courses cost up to 30% more
For general enquiries on registration contact the HIS Office on 020 7713 0273 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Antimicrobial Resistance and Healthcare Associated Infections (ARHAI) Foundation Course on Hospital Infection Control
This three-day non-residential course held annually in January is a stand-alone course.Take advantage of the opportunity to learn from the leading UK experts and speakers in the field. The course is suitable for medical trainees, newly appointed consultants and other practioners such as nurses and clinical scientists who wish to get a firm grounding in infection prevention and control.
Note: 19 RCPath CPD credits applied for this course in 2017.
The learning outcomes of this course are:
- Develop a sound approach to the prevention and control of healthcare associated infections (HCAI) and related issues of antimicrobial resistance (AMR)
- Learn how to develop a surveillance programme and gain knowledge of data collection, analysis and feedback to produce information for action
- Outbreaks: learn about prevention and control with emphasis on investigation and data analysis
- Learn how to use molecular typing techniques for outbreak investigation
- Introduce technical aspects of hospital hygiene eg ventilation, disinfection and sterilisation
- Understand the basis of antimicrobial stewardship
- Cover organisational aspects of HCAI prevention and control.
Apart from the formal learning, there is also a networking dinner arranged on the first evening. This provides an informal setting to talk to speakers and fellow delegates.
The cost of the course was £500 in 2017 and HIS Members were entitled to a 10% discount.
The dates for 2018 will be announced in due course.